What Can ChatGPT Do? | Suggestions & Examples
The novelty of ChatGPT, and the reason it’s big news in the AI world and beyond, is its ability to generate unique, fluent, and largely accurate responses to pretty much any question or prompt.
Rather than being designed for one narrow task, ChatGPT is a generalist: it excels at a wide variety of activities, from coding to writing. Below, we explore 10 surprising things ChatGPT can do—and a few that it struggles with (so far).
Table of contents
- Explain complex topics in a personalized way
- Write different kinds of texts
- Help you practice something
- Test your knowledge of a topic
- Brainstorm ideas
- Write and review code
- Translate and converse in multiple languages
- Write in the style of …
- Write you a poem
- Tell jokes
- What ChatGPT can’t do (yet)
- Other interesting articles
- Frequently asked questions about ChatGPT
Explain complex topics in a personalized way
Some of ChatGPT’s key capabilities are its proficiency in discussing just about any topic and its ability to adjust its responses to different writing styles. This makes it a powerful tool for learning about complex topics in an accessible way.
Try asking it a question (e.g., “What is …?”) or instructing it to summarize or explain a topic (e.g., “Please explain x to me”). If the answer isn’t what you wanted, you can always follow up (e.g., by asking for more detail on a specific point or asking for a more accessible summary).
- What is spacetime?
- Spacetime is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space—length, width, and height—with the dimension of time into a unified framework. It is a fundamental concept in physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein.According to general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum in which events take place. Instead of treating space and time as separate entities, Einstein proposed that they are intertwined, and the geometry of spacetime is affected by the presence of mass and energy. Massive objects like stars and planets curve spacetime, causing other objects to move along curved paths.In the framework of general relativity, the motion of objects in spacetime is described by geodesics, which are the paths that objects naturally follow in curved spacetime. These paths are influenced by the distribution of matter and energy, as well as the geometry of the surrounding spacetime.Spacetime also incorporates the idea that the speed of light is a fundamental constant, limiting the maximum speed at which information or causal influence can propagate through the universe. This has important implications for our understanding of cause and effect, as well as the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.Overall, spacetime provides a unified description of the fabric of the universe, encompassing both space and time, and is a key concept in modern physics for understanding the nature of gravity and the dynamics of the cosmos.
- Can you use simpler language and condense the explanation to one paragraph?
- Certainly! Spacetime is the combination of three dimensions of space and one dimension of time into a single framework. It’s a concept in physics, particularly in Einstein’s theory of general relativity, which says that spacetime is a four-dimensional “fabric” where events happen. Massive objects like stars bend this fabric, causing other objects to move along curved paths. Spacetime also includes the idea that the speed of light is a maximum speed limit, affecting how information and cause and effect work. In simple terms, spacetime is a way to describe how space and time are connected, how they can be curved, and how things move within this unified framework.
Write different kinds of texts
ChatGPT also excels at writing different kinds of texts for you quickly. For example, you could ask it to draft an email or cover letter for you.
Note that unless you give very specific instructions, you’ll likely want to edit the ChatGPT response to make sure it lines up with what you want and matches your voice. For instance, in the example below, we didn’t specifically tell it our schedule, so we’d probably have to edit the second paragraph to ensure it’s accurate.
- Draft a friendly email to my academic supervisor, Paul Silas, telling him that I can’t make it to our scheduled meeting tomorrow due to illness. Ask him about alternative meeting times next week. Keep it short and to the point.
- Subject: Unable to Attend Meeting Tomorrow – Requesting Alternative Meeting TimesDear Professor Silas,I hope this email finds you well. I regret to inform you that I will be unable to attend our scheduled meeting tomorrow due to illness. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.Could we please explore the possibility of rescheduling our meeting for next week? I am available on Monday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM, or on Wednesday from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Alternatively, if these times do not work for you, please let me know your availability, and I will do my best to accommodate it.Thank you for your understanding, and I appreciate your flexibility. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind regards,[Your Name]
Help you practice something
Need to rehearse or practice for something, like a job interview? You can always ask ChatGPT to play a specific role and practice an interaction with you. Give it enough context for the best results.
- I need to practice for a job interview. You play the role of the interviewer. You’re hiring for a Teaching Assistant position at a high school. Ask me questions (one question at a time) about my experience, skills, and interest in the position. Follow up on what I say, and let me know if you think my answer wasn’t ideal.
- Sure, I’d be happy to help you practice for your job interview as the interviewer. Let’s start with the first question:Question 1: Can you tell me about your previous experience working as a Teaching Assistant or in any educational role?
- Sure. I don’t have a huge amount of experience, but I did a two-month internship at an elementary school as a teaching assistant.
- That’s great to hear that you have some experience as a teaching assistant through your internship at an elementary school. Could you please elaborate on your specific responsibilities and tasks during that internship? Also, feel free to mention any notable achievements or challenges you encountered during that time.
Test your knowledge of a topic
You can also ask ChatGPT to test your knowledge of a topic, which can be a good way of practicing for exams or just testing yourself.
- Please test my knowledge of English verb tenses. Ask me one question at a time, and tell me if my answer is correct, explaining where I went wrong if not.
- Of course! I’d be happy to test your knowledge of English verb tenses. Let’s begin:Question 1: What is the past tense of the verb “go”?
- Correct! The past tense of the verb “go” is “went.” Well done! Let’s move on to the next question.Question 2: What is the present perfect tense of the verb “eat”?
Sometimes, you just need some suggestions to get started. ChatGPT can give you ideas for how to approach just about any project. Try asking it for tips or bouncing your own ideas off it.
- I want to throw a party for my boyfriend’s birthday, but I don’t have any good ideas
- Throwing a party for your boyfriend’s birthday is a wonderful way to celebrate and show your love. Here are some ideas to help you plan a memorable and enjoyable party:
- Choose a Theme: Selecting a theme can make the party more exciting and engaging. Consider your boyfriend’s interests, hobbies, or favorite movies, sports teams, or eras. Some popular themes could include a Hawaiian luau, a sports night, a retro ’80s party, or a casino night.
- Guest List: Create a guest list based on your boyfriend’s preferences. Include his close friends, family members, and some of your mutual friends. Ensure the guests will have a good time and get along well.
Write and review code
ChatGPT tends to be just as proficient at writing computer code as it is at writing human language. Try playing around with its coding abilities, asking it to review or complete code you’ve worked on or write an entirely original program.
- Please write a program in Python that calculates the sum of all numbers from 1 to N, where N is entered by the user.
- Here is one way to write a program in Python to calculate the sum of all numbers from 1 to N:n = int(input(“Enter a positive integer: “))
sum = 0
for i in range(1, n+1):
sum += i
print(“The sum of all numbers from 1 to”, n, “is”, sum)In this program, the user is prompted to enter a positive integer n. The variable sum is initialized to 0 and then we use a for loop to iterate from 1 to n (inclusive), adding each number to the sum. Finally, the result is printed to the screen.
Translate and converse in multiple languages
ChatGPT can interact with users in many different languages. It’s likely to perform best in the languages covered most comprehensively in its training data, but you can try it out in any language you like. This opens up a lot of possibilities for using ChatGPT for language learning.
For example, you can ask ChatGPT to translate text, teach you vocabulary, or even switch between languages in a single chat.
- Please translate this Spanish text into Dutch for me: He vivido en Ámsterdam durante dos años.
- Ik heb twee jaar lang in Amsterdam gewoond.
- Graag gedaan! Als je nog meer hulp nodig hebt, sta ik voor je klaar.
- Lo siento, realmente no hablo holandés. ¿Podemos hablar español?
- ¡Por supuesto! Podemos continuar en español. ¿En qué más puedo ayudarte?
Write in the style of …
Since its training data includes such a large volume of text, ChatGPT can also be asked to imitate the style of specific writers. This can be fun to play around with, although we’ve found that the resulting parodies can be quite literal and don’t necessarily do a great job of imitating the author’s voice.
- Write two paragraphs about generative AI in the style of Jane Austen.
- In the realm of artificial intelligence, there exists a wondrous creation known as generative AI, a marvel of ingenuity that brings forth words and ideas with an uncanny resemblance to human craftsmanship. This novel invention, resembling the creative faculties of a virtuoso scribe, can conjure eloquent prose and intricate narratives, captivating the minds of those fortunate enough to witness its artistry. Like a masterful storyteller, generative AI weaves tales of love and longing, of wit and whimsy, all while preserving the genteel manners and refined language that befit a Jane Austen novel.With the aid of generative AI, the cherished traditions of literary endeavors are rejuvenated, as the ethereal whispers of muses are replaced by the computational genius of algorithms. No longer must the quill quiver upon the page, nor the inkwell be replenished; for at the fingertips of discerning writers, the apparatus of generative AI stands ready, eager to deliver its offerings. Through this transformative marriage of innovation and artistry, a new era of literature dawns, where the delicate nuances of Austen’s prose are mirrored, and the spirits of characters long past are revived, ever enchanting readers with tales that are both familiar and refreshingly novel.
Write you a poem
ChatGPT can respond not only in prose but also in verse. Ask it to write you a poem on any topic. The results are not exactly Shakespeare, but it’s fun to play around with generating different kinds of poem on whatever topic comes to mind.
- Write a limerick about Scribbr.
- There once was a student named Jim,
Whose essays were a little too grim.
He found Scribbr online,
Where editors shine,
Now his papers are polished and prim!
Need a laugh? Ask ChatGPT to tell you a joke.
- Tell me a joke
- Sure, here’s a classic one for you:Why don’t scientists trust atoms?Because they make up everything!
- I apologize if that joke didn’t meet your expectations. Let me try another one:Why don’t skeletons fight each other?They don’t have the guts!
What ChatGPT can’t do (yet)
While its abilities are impressive, you should also be aware of ChatGPT’s limitations. In its current form, ChatGPT:
- Sometimes makes things up: The developers acknowledge that ChatGPT’s answers shouldn’t be relied on for complete accuracy. It tends to “hallucinate,” giving confident—but wrong—answers rather than admitting when it doesn’t know something.
- Can’t accurately cite its sources: ChatGPT’s responses include information from a wide variety of sources included in its training data, but it usually can’t accurately cite these sources since it doesn’t really “know” where its own information comes from. This is a problem in academic writing, where failure to cite sources correctly constitutes plagiarism.
- May reproduce biases from its training data: ChatGPT has been shown to reproduce biases (such as sexism) from its training data, since its responses essentially aim to imitate the kinds of texts it has seen in similar contexts.
- Tends to be long-winded and overly polite: By default, the tool’s responses are often longer than they need to be and padded with redundant or repetitive language, apologies, and disclaimers.
Other interesting articles
Frequently asked questions about ChatGPT
- Can I have ChatGPT write my paper?
No, it’s not a good idea to do so in general—first, because it’s normally considered plagiarism or academic dishonesty to represent someone else’s work as your own (even if that “someone” is an AI language model). Even if you cite ChatGPT, you’ll still be penalized unless this is specifically allowed by your university. Institutions may use AI detectors to enforce these rules.
Second, ChatGPT can recombine existing texts, but it cannot really generate new knowledge. And it lacks specialist knowledge of academic topics. Therefore, it is not possible to obtain original research results, and the text produced may contain factual errors.
However, you can usually still use ChatGPT for assignments in other ways, as a source of inspiration and feedback.
- Can I program with ChatGPT?
Yes, ChatGPT is able to create code in different programming languages like Python, Java and C++.
There are several ways you can use ChatGPT in your studies, such as if programming is part of your bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Can I create citations using ChatGPT?
No, it is not possible to cite your sources with ChatGPT. You can ask it to create citations, but it isn’t designed for this task and tends to make up sources that don’t exist or present information in the wrong format. ChatGPT also cannot add citations to direct quotes in your text.
Instead, use a tool designed for this purpose, like the Scribbr Citation Generator.
But you can use ChatGPT for assignments in other ways, to provide inspiration, feedback, and general writing advice.
- Can I use ChatGPT to learn languages?
Yes, there are a variety of ways to use ChatGPT for language learning, including treating it as a conversation partner, asking it for translations, and using it to generate a curriculum or practice exercises.
Cite this Scribbr article
If you want to cite this source, you can copy and paste the citation or click the “Cite this Scribbr article” button to automatically add the citation to our free Citation Generator.